- Why Hire Us
- Our Team
- Practice Areas
- Case Settlements & Verdicts
- Legal News
- Contact Us
10 Best in Pennsylvania For Client Satisfaction
The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys has recognized the exceptional performance of Pennsylvania’s Personal Injury Attorney Jamie Anzalone as 2015 10 Best Personal Injury Attorneys for Client Satisfaction.
The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys is a third-party attorney rating organization that publishes an annual list of the Top 10 Personal Injury attorneys in each state. Attorneys who are selected to the “10 Best” list must pass AIOPIA’s rigorous selection process, which is based on client and/or peer nominations, thorough research, and AIOPIA’s independent evaluation. AIOPIA’s annual list was created to be used as a resource for clients during the attorney selection process.
One of the most significant aspects of the selection process involves attorneys’ relationships and reputation among his or her clients. As clients should be an attorney’s top priority, AIOPIA places the utmost emphasis on selecting lawyers who have achieved significant success in the field of Personal Injury law without sacrificing the service and support they provide. Selection criteria therefore focus on attorneys who demonstrate the highest standards of Client Satisfaction.
We congratulate Jamie Anzalone on this achievement and we are honored to have him as a 2015 AIOPIA Member.
Legal News – Allentown man who claims he was beaten by a Northampton County corrections officer in retribution for smuggling a cellphone into prison has settled a federal lawsuit against the county and the guard.
Frank Buccini will receive a total of $72,500 from Northampton County and former corrections officer Jorge Rafael Soto under terms of the settlement. The county, however, continues to deny any liability for the January 2011 assault.
Legal News – Attorney Patrick Doyle of Wilkes-Barre said the settlement was negotiated after a conference with U.S. Magistrate David R. Strawbridge in April. The settlement was signed in June and released on Tuesday in response to a Right-to-Know Request by The Morning Call.
Strawbridge filed an order dismissing the case last week.
Legal News – Doyle said depositions of about 10 witnesses, including other prison employees, showed that Soto improperly took Buccini to a shower area in the prison and assaulted him. Other guards and staff members should have been in the area to prevent the assault, but failed to so, Doyle said.
Northampton County solicitor Victor Scomillio said the settlement significantly limits any financial exposure the county might have had as a result of Buccini’s lawsuit.
The county’s insurance company will pay $70,000 to Buccini, while Soto will be required to pay $2,500, according to the settlement. As part of the settlement, Northampton County will forgive about $1,000 in room and board fees owed by Buccini.
Soto, who pleaded guilty in 2012 to a summary charge of harassment and paid a $50 fine, had come under scrutiny earlier in January 2011 after another inmate he was responsible for searching was able to bring a gun into the prison, sparking a four-day lockdown.
Buccini, whom Soto was also responsible for searching, brought the cellphone to send text messages to a friend with instructions to arrange his bail, Doyle said.
When Soto learned that other guards had discovered Buccini’s phone, he dragged Buccini into a nearby shower stall, where there were no surveillance cameras, and repeatedly punched Buccini, according to the lawsuit.
“It’s just a case of guards turning a blind eye to an event that should never have occurred,” he said.
Buccini suffered an injury to his left shoulder that required surgery in addition to emotional distress and anxiety, according to the suit.
The suit is one of several filed against Northampton County Prison in recent years.
In 2012, the county agreed to pay $200,000 to John J. Mucha, who charged he was attacked by a “jailhouse tobacco gang” amid corruption by guards.
In June, a federal court dismissed a lawsuit by Thomas Misero, who claimed the county should have done more to prevent a brutal razor slashing by another inmate.
Another federal lawsuit alleges former prisoner Matthew Farrell was stabbed repeatedly last year by a convicted murderer armed with a makeshift knife, then was threatened by corrections officers after he complained.